The former Thousand Buddha Temple at Mount Faber

The Thousand Buddha Temple was situated on Mount Washington, one of a series of small hills that were collectively known as Telok Blangah Hill. In July 1845, Telok Blangah Hill was renamed Mount Faber after Captain Charles Edward Faber of the Madras Engineers. One of the relics in the temple’s possession was a statue of a seven-headed Makara (Dragon) coiled around a seated Buddha, which was a gift from the Wat Suthat Temple in Bangkok, Thailand. The Thousand Buddha Temple was relocated in the 1980s, with the temple building on Mount Faber subsequently demolished to make way for the development of the Alkaff Mansion.

Date/Period
c. 1970s
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Object size: 10.2 x 15 cm
Accession No.
2008-04721
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Postcards