The Toa Payoh Seu Teck Sean Tong Temple had its humble beginnings in an attap hut in Hup Choon Hng Kampong. Established in 1942, the temple is part of the shan tang (charitable and religious institutions prominent in Southern China in the 17th century) network.
As part of shan tang tradition, an altar dedicated to its patron saint Song Dafeng was blessed in Singapore’s first shan tang, the Seu Teck Sean Tong Yian Sin Sia, before being installed in this Toa Payoh temple.
After the Japanese Occupation, a purpose-built temple on the site of its current location was completed in 1959. Besides its religious function, the Seu Teck Sean Tong Temple also carries out activities in accordance with the shan tang mission.
In 1967, Seu Teck Sean Tong opened its medical section offering free medical services to all. Currently, the temple also houses a kidney dialysis unit.