Places

Filter
  1. National Monuments are structures and buildings that possess national, historical, social and architectural merit, and are protected by the Preservation of Monuments Act.
    The Museum Roundtable (MR) comprises a collective of over 50 public and private museums, heritage galleries and unique attractions in Singapore.
    Marked Historic Sites are historically significant places associated with important events, communities or personalities.
    This section covers buildings, structures, sites and landscape features in Singapore of architectural, historical or cultural interest.

Places

Places - Buildings and Sites



84 results found.

  • Raintr33 Hotel Singapore (Part of Former Hendon Camp)

    chatsworth

    In colonial times, this building at the east of Singapore housed the British Royal Engineers, and later became part of Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Hendon Camp. In 2013, the building was converted into a boutique hotel.

    Category
    Defence
  • Phoenix Park

    phoenix

    Phoenix Park was designed by Messrs Palmer and Turner, an architectural firm, at the cost of $1.3 million. The complex of buildings was completed in 1949 and had the capacity to hold a total of 180 offices and facilities. The site was previously part of the Singapore Japanese Golf Club’s golf course before it was taken over by Kay Siang Camp (also known as the Royal Engineers’ camp) to house the commander of the Royal Engineers.

    Category
    Architecture
  • Chatsworth Park Conservation Area

    chatsworth

    The 27 conserved bungalows in the Chatsworth Park Conservation Area were built in the 1920s and 1930s. These bungalows were mainly designed in the Art Deco and ‘black and white’ styles, to house expatriate staffs of firms such as the Straits Trading Company, Cable & Wireless, McAlister & Co. and Firestone Rubber Company.

    Category
    Architecture
  • Former Brunei Hostel

    hostel

    Located at the end of Tanglin Road, the Brunei hostel was constructed by the Brunei government in the mid-1950s to provide accommodation for Brunei students studying in Singapore. The hostel opened in 1958 and was known as Asrama Kerajaan Brunei di Singapura (AKBS) or Tanglin (Hill) Brunei Hostel amongst locals.

    Category
    Community
  • Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Tanglin Village

    mfa

    The former Tanglin Barracks and Tanglin Officers’ Mess are situated on the site of a former nutmeg estate which was known as Mount Harriet in 1850s. The plantation was co-owned by British Colonial Treasurer William W. Willans and Hoo Ah Kay (also known as Whampoa). The site was selected by Captain George Collyer of the Madras Engineers to house the British reinforcement troops that were deployed to Singapore to strengthen its defence. The site was eventually purchased for $25,000 Spanish dollars in 1860 for British military use.

    Category
    War
  • Danish Seamen's Church (Former Golden Bell Mansion)

    danish seamen church

    Completed in 1910 by philanthropist Tan Boo Liat, great-grandson of Tan Tock Seng, the former Golden Bell Mansion was named after Tan Boo Liat’s grandfather Tan Kim Ching, whose name means golden bell.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Community
  • Cairnhill Arts Centre

    ONE-TWO-SIX Cairnhill Arts Centre

    The three-storey high building incorporated elements of Chinese architectural such as the upturned eaves and the use of geometrical motifs on beams and wall surfaces. The building was designed by Swan & Maclaren, a prominent architectural firm in Singapore.

    Category
    Educational, Community
  • Bras Basah Complex

    Bras Basah Complex

    Bras Basah Complex was known as书城 (shu cheng, meaning “City of Books” in Mandarin) as the complex is famed for its numerous bookstores. It is also known as 百胜楼 (bai sheng lou in Mandarin).

    Category
    Culture & Community
  • Berlayer Beacon

    Berlayer Beacon

    Located on an outcrop at the southernmost end of Labrador Park, the iconic seven-metre tall structure at Tanjong Berlayer served as a navigational beacon for boats and ships approaching Keppel Harbour in the mid 20th century.

    Category
    Sites & Structures
  • Balestier Plain

    Balestier Plains

    Balestier Plain refers to the playing fields bounded by Balestier Road from Tessensohn Road to Moulmein Road. The field, which existed since the early 1900s, had been associated with eight sports clubs over the years.

    Category
    Community
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9