Places

Filter
  1. National Monuments are structures and buildings that possess national, historical, social and architectural merit, and are protected by the Preservation of Monuments Act.
    The Museum Roundtable (MR) comprises a collective of over 50 public and private museums, heritage galleries and unique attractions in Singapore.
    Marked Historic Sites are historically significant places associated with important events, communities or personalities.
    This section covers buildings, structures, sites and landscape features in Singapore of architectural, historical or cultural interest.

Places

Places - Buildings and Sites



158 results found.

  • Former National Aerated Water Company Factory

    chatsworth

    The former National Aerated Water Company (NAWC) Factory was a well-known local landmark along Serangoon Road. This bottling factory produced popular soft drinks such as Kickapoo Joy Juice, until a lost lawsuit eventually shut down its operations. The main building was gazetted on 9 February 2018.

    Category
    Architecture
  • Dance Ensemble Singapore

    chatsworth

    Like many buildings in the area, the colonial bungalow at 60 Waterloo Street was once a private residence before being converted into a commercial space. Now, as part of an initiative to create an arts belt in the Waterloo Street area, it houses Dance Ensemble Singapore (DES).

    Category
    Art, Culture & Community
  • Raintr33 Hotel Singapore (Part of Former Hendon Camp)

    chatsworth

    In colonial times, this building at the east of Singapore housed the British Royal Engineers, and later became part of Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Hendon Camp. In 2013, the building was converted into a boutique hotel.

    Category
    Defence
  • 299 River Valley Road

    chatsworth

    This site has a diverse history — it was the residence of a well-known, eclectic Straits Chinese man before functioning as Ngee Ann Girls’ School for four decades. Now, it is home to Teo Yeonh Huai Kuan, a clan that looks after the Chao Yang community.

    Category
    Educational, Culture & Community
  • Macpherson Road Post Office

    chatsworth

    One of many similar community-based post offices all over Singapore, the Macpherson Road Post Office was opened by Aljunied assemblyman Mr. S. V. Lingam in 1963. In 1977, the site was victim to an armed robbery, in which over $10,000 was taken.

    Category
    Community
  • Former Catholic High School (SAM@8Q)

    chatsworth

    The current Singapore Art Museum (SAM) at 8Q was previously one of the buildings of the Catholic High School — an institution that dates back to the 1930s and have nurtured many leaders and professionals in various fields.

    Category
    Educational, Art, Culture & Community
  • Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Tanglin Village

    mfa

    The former Tanglin Barracks and Tanglin Officers’ Mess are situated on the site of a former nutmeg estate which was known as Mount Harriet in 1850s. The plantation was co-owned by British Colonial Treasurer William W. Willans and Hoo Ah Kay (also known as Whampoa). The site was selected by Captain George Collyer of the Madras Engineers to house the British reinforcement troops that were deployed to Singapore to strengthen its defence. The site was eventually purchased for $25,000 Spanish dollars in 1860 for British military use.

    Category
    War
  • Chatsworth Park Conservation Area

    chatsworth

    The 27 conserved bungalows in the Chatsworth Park Conservation Area were built in the 1920s and 1930s. These bungalows were mainly designed in the Art Deco and ‘black and white’ styles, to house expatriate staffs of firms such as the Straits Trading Company, Cable & Wireless, McAlister & Co. and Firestone Rubber Company.

    Category
    Architecture
  • Former Brunei Hostel

    hostel

    Located at the end of Tanglin Road, the Brunei hostel was constructed by the Brunei government in the mid-1950s to provide accommodation for Brunei students studying in Singapore. The hostel opened in 1958 and was known as Asrama Kerajaan Brunei di Singapura (AKBS) or Tanglin (Hill) Brunei Hostel amongst locals.

    Category
    Community
  • Danish Seamen's Church (Former Golden Bell Mansion)

    danish seamen church

    Completed in 1910 by philanthropist Tan Boo Liat, great-grandson of Tan Tock Seng, the former Golden Bell Mansion was named after Tan Boo Liat’s grandfather Tan Kim Ching, whose name means golden bell.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Community
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. ...
  4. 10
  5. 11
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. 15
  10. 16