Places

Filter
  1. National Monuments are structures and buildings that possess national, historical, social and architectural merit, and are protected by the Preservation of Monuments Act.
    The Museum Roundtable (MR) comprises a collective of over 50 public and private museums, heritage galleries and unique attractions in Singapore.
    Marked Historic Sites are historically significant places associated with important events, communities or personalities.
    This section covers buildings, structures, sites and landscape features in Singapore of architectural, historical or cultural interest.

Places

Places



400 results found.

  • Anglo-Chinese School

    Anglo-Chinese School

    The Anglo-Chinese School (ACS) was founded by Rev. William Fitzjames Oldham in 1886 at a shophouse in Amoy Street. Starting with 13 students, the school aimed to provide an education for the many boys Bishop Fitzjames saw wandering aimlessly in the streets.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  • Former Tao Nan School (now The Peranakan Museum)

    Former Tao Nan School (now The Peranakan Museum)

    This was the first modern Chinese school in Singapore and one of the earliest of its kind in the Straits Settlements. The beautiful three-storey building is a testimony to the local Chinese community’s commitment to education and the modernisation of Chinese education in twentieth-century Singapore.

    Category
    Architecture, Culture & Community, National History
  • Former Ministry of Labour Building (now Family Justice Courts)

    Former Ministry of Labour Building (now Family Justice Courts)

    The edifice bears witness to Singapore’s judiciary system today and also calls to mind the period of the influx of Chinese immigrants in the colonial era and their contributions to Singapore.

    Category
    Architecture, National History
  • Maghain Aboth Synagogue

    Maghain Aboth Synagogue

    Located in the former Jewish neighbourhood, Maghain Aboth Synagogue is the oldest surviving synagogue in Southeast Asia. It is a living monument that bears witness to the contributions of the small but close-knit Jewish community in Singapore since the British colonial period.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Architecture, National History
  • Pasir Panjang Machine-Gun Pillbox

    Pasir Panjang Machine-Gun Pillbox

    Pillboxes were built in the 1930s to strengthen Singapore’s coastal defence as part of British preparation for a war in Singapore. The pillboxes were equipped with machine guns and positioned at strategic intervals to allow their fields of fires to overlap and reinforce each other. Pasir Panjang Machine-Gun Pillbox lay within the area guarded by the 1st Battalion of the Malay Regiment which later battled invading Japanese troops at Pasir Pajang Ridge. It served to protect the Southern area which had key installations including ammunition depots and Alexandra Military Hospital.

    Category
    War, National History
  • Singapore Chinese Girls’ School

    Singapore Chinese Girls’ School

    This School was opened in 1899 under the auspices of a group of Straits Chinese, including Sir Song Ong Siang and Dr Lim Boon Keng. The Emerald Hill Site, which housed the school from 1925 to 1994, was the grounds of Dr Lim Boon Keng’s family home.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  • St. Margaret’s School

    St. Margaret’s School

    Singapore’s oldest girls’ school was established by Mrs Dyer of the London Missionary Society in 1842. “Mui Tsai”(girls sold to servitude) were taught Christian values, homemaking skills and given elementary English education here.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  • Raffles Institution

    Raffles Institution

    The first school in Singapore, it was founded by Sir Stamford Raffles on 5 June 1823. It was originallly known as “The Institution”.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  • Gan Eng Seng School

    Gan Eng Seng School

    In 1885, Gan Eng Seng founded a free school for poor boys in Singapore. Initially named the Anglo-Chinese Free School, it was among the earliest schools to offer a bilingual education. The school moved to its first new building about 50 metres behind Telok Ayer Chinese Methodist Church in 1893. It became known as Gan Eng Seng School in 1923.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  • The Gate of Hope

    The Gate of Hope

    At the small gate of the old Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, many babies were abandoned, especially girls born in the “year of tiger” that were believed to bring bad luck to the family. The sisters adopted the babies and established the Home for Abandoned Babies.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Architecture, National History
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. ...
  4. 31
  5. 32
  6. 33
  7. 34
  8. 35
  9. ...
  10. 39
  11. 40