Places

Filter
  1. National Monuments are structures and buildings that possess national, historical, social and architectural merit, and are protected by the Preservation of Monuments Act.
    The Museum Roundtable (MR) comprises a collective of over 50 public and private museums, heritage galleries and unique attractions in Singapore.
    Marked Historic Sites are historically significant places associated with important events, communities or personalities.
    This section covers buildings, structures, sites and landscape features in Singapore of architectural, historical or cultural interest.

Places

Places



400 results found.

  • Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building, Memorial and Arch

    Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building, Memorial and Arch

    Nanyang University (南洋大学), affectionately known as Nantah (南大), was the first Chinese-language university in Southeast Asia and the second university in Singapore. Not only do the Former Nanyang University Library and Administration Building, Memorial, and Arch serve as remembrances of the original Nantah, they also bear witness to the relentless efforts and contributions of the local Chinese community towards making tertiary education accessible to Chinese-speaking youth.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Architecture, National History
  • Central Fire Station

    Central Fire Station

    The Central Fire Station is the oldest surviving fire station in Singapore and is a living monument to the local firefighting force.

    Category
    Architecture, National History, Defence
  • Former Hill Street Police Station

    Former Hill Street Police Station

    Nicknamed the ‘Police Skyscraper’ in the past, the Former Hill Street Police Station is prominently located at the junction of Hill Street and River Valley Road. The building served as a police station and also housed accommodation for officers and their families. A monument to the police force in Singapore, the edifice was once the largest of its kind in Malaya.

    Category
    Architecture, Defence, National History
  • Ying Fo Fui Kun

    Ying Fo Fui Kun

    Ying Fo Fui Kun exemplifies the spirit of solidarity within the early Hakka community and serves as a reminder of their contributions to Singapore’s development over the years.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Architecture, National History
  • Chesed-El Synagogue

    Chesed-El Synagogue

    Chesed-El Synagogue bears witness to the Singapore Jewish community’s contributions to Singapore’s development since the British colonial period and is also a memorial to the prominent philanthropist Sir Manasseh Meyer.

    Category
    Culture & Community, Architecture, National History
  • Fuk Tak Chi

    Fuk Tak Chi

    Reputedly the first Chinese temple in Singapore, it grew from a small shrine set up here by the Hakka and Cantonese immigrants in 1824.  The temple also became an association that looked after the interest of the two dialect groups.  The patron deity is Dai Bak Gong (Earth God) in Cantonese, a popular deity with the Chinese of all dialect group.

    Category
    National History, Culture & Community
  • Katong Park

    Katong Park

    Built in the 1930s, Katong Park was the site of a bomb explosion on 24 September 1963. This marked the beginning of Konfrontasi (confrontation) when Indonesia, led by Sukarno, opposed the formation of Malaysia which, until 1965, included Singapore.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  • Alexandra Hospital

    Alexandra Hospital

    Alexandra Hospital, opened in 1940, stands on the site of an earlier Alexandra Indian barracks which was established around 1908. The new military hospital was built to serve the increased number of British troops stationed in Singapore, as part of British preparation for a war in Singapore. The hospital was attacked by Japanese troops when the battle lines reached the area on 14 February 1942 and around 300 patients and medical staff were killed over two days. The British military reoccupied the hospital after the Second World War, and in 1971, the hospital was transferred to the Singapore government. It was renamed Alexandra Road General Hospital and became Singapore’s third general hospital at that point in time.

    Category
    War, National History, Healthcare
  • Methodist Girls' School

    Methodist Girls' School

    Founded in 1887 by Miss Sophia Blackmore, an Australian missionary, the school began as Tamil Girls’ School in Short Street with an enrolment of 9 Indian girls.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  • Raffles Girls' School

    Raffles Girls' School

    Established on 4 March 1844, Raffles Girls’ School first functioned as a moral development and vocational training class at the Singapore Institution. In 1928 it moved to a new building at Queen Street.

    Category
    Culture & Community, National History
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. ...
  4. 30
  5. 31
  6. 32
  7. 33
  8. 34
  9. ...
  10. 39
  11. 40