This postcard is part of a set acquired by the museum. The collection provides a glimpse into the physical and social landscape of Singapore during the 19th and 20th century which were characterised by European colonialism, the Japanese Occupation, and the post-war years. These postcards also give a glimpse into the type of architecture that was seen in Singapore in those days, as well as the range of activities, businesses, trades, and industries that the people of Singapore were involved in at that time. Some of these postcards still contain the original handwriting of the senders themselves.Originally known as the Impounding Reservoir, MacRitchie Reservoir was completed between the 1860s and 1870s. The reservoir was later renamed Thomson Road Reservoir in 1907 and eventually MacRitchie Reservoir in 1922, in honour of James MacRitchie, a municipal engineer. The tranquil and scenic setting made it a popular spot for families and couples.