The Central Fire Station

Completed in 1908, the Central Fire Station at Hill Street is the oldest existing fire station in Singapore. Nicknamed “Blood and Bandage” for its distinct red and white brick design, the building was built in a style popular in Edwardian England during the early 20th century. The white bricks were in fact bricks covered with plaster and painted white. The station was gazetted as a national monument in 1998 and currently houses the Civil Defence Heritage Gallery which was opened in 2001.

Date/Period
c. 1970
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Object size: 8.9 x 14.1 cm
Accession No.
2008-03901
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Postcards