The Cloud-Piercing Pagoda at the Chinese Garden

The Chinese Garden, also known as Yu Hwa Yuan, is a garden located in the Jurong industrial area in the western part of Singapore. The garden was completed in 1975 by the Jurong Town Corporation (JTC), which managed the Jurong Industrial Estate, as a means of adding some greenery to the otherwise drab industrial landscape. The garden was designed by Taiwanese architect Yuen-chen Yu in the imperial architectural style of the Song Dynasty (AD 960-1279), and was filled with landmarks similar to those found in the Beijing Summer Place. Notable landmarks within the garden grounds include: the Marble Stone Lions, the 13-Arch White Rainbow Bridge, the Main Arch Building, the Stone Boat and Tea House, the Garden of Abundance, the Bonsai Garden, the Live Turtle and Tortoise Museum, the seven-storey Cloud-Piercing Pagoda (Ru Yun Ta), and four Chinese-style pavilions. The garden is famous for its annual lantern display held during the Mid-Autumn Festival.

Date/Period
Mid-late 1970s
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Object size: 10.2 x 14.2 cm
Accession No.
2008-04790
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Postcards