Kampong Glam

Located east of the Singapore River, ‘Kampong’ (village) Glam (the Glam tree) was set aside by Sir Stamford Raffles for the Sultan of Singapore as well as the Arab, Bugis and Malay communities under the Raffles Town Plan of 1822. It was gazetted as a conservation area in July 1989. The Sultan Mosque can be seen in the background of this photograph.

Date/Period
1950s
Region
Singapore
Dimension
Image size: L 6 x W 6.1
Accession No.
2000-03733-704
Collection of
National Museum of Singapore
Category
Photographs and Negatives