Located off the northern coast of Singapore, there is a 100-hectare island historically known as Pulau Serangoon. During the late 1930s, the newspapers referred to it as "Haw Par Island" after the Haw Par brothers built a beach villa there — the only known residence in Singapore remaining from the Har Par family.
The island was renamed "Singapore Coney Island" when plans to turn it into a holiday resort were announced in 1950 by its new owner, Mr. Ghulam Mahmood, an Indian businessman. While these plans failed to materialise, the island remained a popular picnic spot for Singaporeans.
Coney Island has been reopened for park use by the National Parks Board (NParks) and to maintain the rustic character of Coney Island, NParks has adopted several environmental-friendly initiatives during the planning and development of the park.
Today, Coney Island is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna. and has become a popular destination for bird and nature enthusiasts.