The original structure of the Goodwood Park Hotel was completed in 1900 to serve as the premises of the Teutonia Club, the clubhouse of the German Club in Singapore. The clubhouse functioned as a social venue for the German-speaking community in Singapore until the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, when it was confiscated by the British colonial authorities and declared enemy property. After the end of the war in 1918, the property was auctioned off to the Manasseh brothers, who converted it into an entertainment theatre called Goodwood Hall. The property was later converted into the Goodwood Park Hotel, which opened in April 1929 and soon established itself as one of the leading hotels in Singapore alongside the Raffles, Adelphi and Seaview hotels. During the Japanese Occupation (1942–1945), the hotel was converted into a residence for senior Japanese officers. In 1946, a temporary war crimes court was established in tents erected on the grounds of the hotel to try two Japanese officers. The following year, the hotel was listed as a public company to obtain funds for renovations. The hotel re-established itself as a premier property when it became the first local hotel to have its own swimming pool. In 1969, the Malayan Banking Group bought over the hotel and subsequently sold it to hotelier Khoo Teck Puat in 1968. The hotel underwent a $10 million renovation in 1983 that saw upgrading works to its Victorian-style Mayfair wing. The hotel’s tower block was gazetted as a national monument in 1989.