Download Yishun Sembawang Heritage Trail Booklet
The Hock Huat Keng Temple, a Chinese temple, as well as Sri Veeramuthu Muneeswarar Temple, a Hindu temple are housed under the same roof at its present location. The friendship between the two temples dates back to more than sixty years ago, in the Hup Choon Kek Village.
Hup Choon Kek Village, formerly located along Yio Chu Kang Road, was actually named after a shop of the same name owned by Chinese pineapple planter Tan Tye (1839-1898). In the village, there was a small temple dedicated to the Chinese deity, Tua Pek Kong. The temple was named after the deity and the area was also known as Tua Pek Kong Kow, which means ‘Tua Pek Kong Entrance’ in Hokkien.
The story goes that this temple dates back to the mid-1800s, when a Chinese settler by the surname of Yio built a shrine along Seletar River. The shrine was later moved to Hup Choon Kek. Tua Pek Kong Temple served as a social and religious centre where temple festivals were held and twice yearly and attracted many lay followers. Snatching of food offerings was a practice whereby worshippers believed that the more they snatched, the more blessings they received. Near the temple, the British had built quarters to house their Public Works Department Sometime in the early 1900s, the Indians began worshipping the Hindu deity Sreemuneeswaran, who was represented by an unusual stone, which was placed right under a tree outside Tua Pek Kong Temple.
Soon, the Chinese also began worshipping the Hindu deity, and a small shrine was constructed for it. The combined temple we see today was relocated in 1996 and it marks the continued close friendship between both temples. At present, these two temples continue to serve their devotees and help needy residents in the North of Singapore through the annual distribution of food rations.