Stamford Primary School started in 1984 as a co-ed school. However, the school’s origins date back to when it was called Stamford Girls’ School, Singapore’s second government girls’ school established in 1951. The school addressed the urgent need for education in the post-war years when it started, but as it opened only with 600 places, there was a wild scramble for enrolment forms by parents.
In the 1980s, existing old schools were merged to form bigger units for greater efficiency and effectiveness. Stamford Girls’ School thus combined with Waterloo Girls’ School to form Stamford Primary School. The school then went on to absorb Selegie Primary School and reopened in 1988. It moved to its current premises in Victoria Lane in 1986.