The school taught Muslim boys the tenets ofIslam. To ensure its continuity, he left a sumof money and an endowment for the school inhis will. As the number of pupils outgrew the premises at Java Road, his nephews, Syed Omarbin Mohamed Alsagoff (1854–1927) and Syed Abdulrahman bin Taha Alsagoff (1880–1955), contributed more funds to the endowment and established the madrasah here at Jalan Sultan. Students were taught Islam, Arabic and English. The formal opening of the school took place in March 1913, officiated by Sir Arthur Young, Governor of the Straits Settlements (1911-1920). The madrasah started accepting girls in the 1940s. As the enrolment of girls increased and that of boys declined over the next two decades, the trustees of the school decided to convert it into a girls’ school. The school moved to temporary premises in Kembangan in 1989 and remained there till 1992 when an extension building was added to the madrasah, providing better facilities for students. Today, its students are also schooled in secular subjects such as Mathematics, Science, and Malay Language in addition to Islamic studies, Arabic and English.