The Fullerton Building sits on the historic promontory between the Singapore River and Marina Bay and at the edge of Raffles Place, the dynamic hub of Singapore’s financial community. This seven-storey Neo-Classical-style building was commissioned in 1919 as part of the British Colony’s centennial celebrations and was designed by Keys & Dowdeswell, who also designed Capitol Theatre. Completed in 1928, it housed the General Post Office, the Exchange, Singapore Club, Chamber of Commerce and various other government offices.
An underground tunnel connected the building to a waterfront pier where mail was delivered to waiting ships. There was also a lighthouse on top of the building. On 20 September 1996, the Fullerton Building was gazetted for conservation and in the following year, it was sold together with an underpass and the adjacent waterfront land parcel. The building was adaptively restored and transformed to a luxury hotel development, now known as the Fullerton Hotel. Its restoration earned the project accolades such as the 2001 URA Architectural Heritage Award and the FIABCI Prix d’Excellence awards (Leisure Category) in 2003.