Seng Siang Society of the Thong Kheng Charitable Institution was established in 1943. In the early decades, in response to social-environment conditions, the institution set up a school, promoted sports & participated in community welfare projects.
Thong Kheng School was set up in 1946 at Kallang Road and in 1954 it moved to Lorong 29 to cater to an increase in the number of students. After more than 30 years, the school ceased operation in 1981. In the 1990s, the institution set up childcare and elderly care facilities and a welfare home for adults with disabilities.