Johore Battery

Cosford Road, off Upper Changi Road Get Directions

2 loved this Place

Johore Battery

Johore Battery was built in the late 1930s as part of Singapore’s coastal defence system. It comprised three 15-inch guns, known as “monster guns”. Although the battery was meant to stop enemy attacks from the sea, two of its guns could be rotated to fire landward. From 5 to 12 February 1942, they fired at Japanese targets in Johor Bahru and at the Causeway, and joined in the battles for Bukit Timah and Pasir Panjang. The British destroyed the guns before the Fall of Singapore to prevent them from falling into the hands of the invading Japanese.